Saturday, January 1, 2011

Watch It

The other day I shanghaied my Alaskan sister into going shopping with me at St. Vincent's thrift store. I had a shopping list in mind that included shorts, skirts, scarves, and possibly a sweater or two if I had extra time. After I had made my selections (3 skirts, 1 sweater vest, and 2 scarves), we were heading up to the registers to check out and I got distracted by the jewelry case. I like vintage jewelry, though something would have to be especially spectacular and inexpensive for me to buy it, but as I was looking in the case I saw a large number of watches.

I've been on the hunt for a good watch for a while now, but the thought of getting one second hand had not even crossed my mind. But where better to get a vintage/old looking watch than a thrift store? After looking at a few different styles, I eventually settled on not one, but two new watches to start my watch collection.

This first one is Pulsar Quartz and is most definitely a man watch. The band is what gives it away, though the face isn't particularly feminine, either. I could care less that it's a man watch, though, as I love the face so much that it more than makes up for it. And just think, some old guy probably died so I could have this. Pretty crazy, huh?
And besides, I can always get the band changed if I end up hating it too much. For now I don't mind it, though.

The other one I got is a Fossil Skeleton watch, whatever that means. It has little tiny gears in the front which I love, even though I'm quite sure they are good for nothing but decoration. I also like that the numbers are Roman Numerals. The downside of this watch is that is doesn't actually work, but I didn't buy it to tell time, I bought it to look pretty on my wrist.
These watches were my big splurge of the day... the Pulsar one cost me $18 and the Fossil cost me $5. That's far more than I was planning on spending yesterday at a thrift store, but as I've been looking for some cool watches for quite a while now I felt as though it was justifiable.
I think my whole family thinks I'm nutters for getting these. But oh well. I love them! :)