Friday, January 14, 2011

Sequins in Motion

I stumbled across a post by Fashion Fantasist that featured this gorgeous clip in the discussion of the Science of Sequins.



In my own little fashion universe, sequins are proof that taste changes as you get older and were as much in motion within my taste as they are as a material: completely flipped to show another, alternative side when being rubbed up against in the wrong direction. What appalled me was badly and cheaply made plasticity that can be encountered still, and the fact that it is a texture often used in the high street formula of "front of garment: hint of texture/ print/ detailing that looks like it should go all way round - back of garment: plain jersey, abruptly cutting off any coherent theme" that I still detest. I wasn't very keen on the immediate "look at me, I'm an Art Deco brothel dancer" impact that can of course easily be diminished with the right layering and styling. Not that there is a problem with that look, it's just not one I aspired to as a 14 year old. Quite rightly, I should say.

I do remember that I despised sequined pieces to as much an extent as I adore them now because as with many other things, I had to grow wise to realize that the quality and beauty of a type of material depends on the way that material is implemented and used. The same way Gustave Flaubert claims Madame Bovary is purposely mind numbingly boring in order to outline the inadequacy of words, I prefer to see it as pointing out the possibility of the inadequacy of words based on the inadequacy or misuse and misunderstanding of the person that employs them. I'm not talking about Gustave Flaubert but his characters, just to clear that up. Similarly, the use of sequins can be intricate and beautiful as is the case in this clip.

Although I wish she wasn't wearing boots in the clip, there's no denying the effect it can have when used in the right circumstances.


Image taken from AMLEA