Saturday, September 18, 2010

Buy It Here, Not There

When I was putting together my Ruche blog I did quite a bit of browsing through the sections on Ruche's website to make sure the pieces I was presenting were my absolute favorites. At some point during that browsing, it became apparent to me that I had seen some of the items before. So after some careful sleuthing, I came up with several example of some of my favorite shops selling the same items, usually at significantly different prices.

So here is a small collection of some of the more obvious duplicates that I found. My scanning was done fairly quickly, so I'm sure there are probably more examples to be found.

The bottom line is that if you are online shopping, do some poking around and see if you can get it somewhere else for cheaper. You'd be surprised at how much money you can save.

I've actually been considering buying this first dress, and if I ever do I know where I'm going to buy it from:

These two dresses are obviously different colors, but there is no denying that they are the same dress:

This cardigan is over $20 cheaper at Ruche. So basically, you can buy the cardigan and a shirt at Ruche for the same price as just the cardigan on ModCloth:

Another cardigan:

I'm actually not 100% sure this is the same skirt, but I'm pretty sure. It's hard to tell because they were photographed differently:

The price difference here isn't huge, but if you don't have a preference between the black and brown, you can save $5 by going for brown:


Regularly priced these shoes aren't that different either, but the brown ones at Ruche are on sale and are a great deal compared to the black ones at Modcloth:


I was starting to think that Ruche is always cheaper than ModCloth, but I did come across this gray long-sleeved dress that's more expensive at Ruche:

Urban Outfitters also has some duplicates, but it's much harder to spot them because all of their clothing pictures are of a model wearing the item, which makes it more difficult to match them to items that are photographed on a mannequin. I did manage to spot this dress also found at ModCloth, however:

And I also found a pair of shoes also sold at Ruche in a different color. The price is so similar that it would really just depend on what color you wanted more.

I know I was kind of hard on ModCloth today, but there are still by far my favorite online shop to browse through, and if I had the money I would buy a lot of their stuff. They have a much larger selection than Ruche does, and they have better item photographs and descriptions.

Well that's all I have for today. Don't forget to be a smart shopper and double check with some other shops before just blindly forking over your money.