Monday, September 27, 2010

Chanel at lunch, Armani at concert, jeans at fabric shop a 24 hour day

photo

Camel Jaeger vintage coat
Black Proenza Shouler sunglasses
Black wet-look silk DKNY blouse
Light beige pleat Pringle skirt
Beige and Black patent Chanel ankle boots
Black rubber Longchamp bag
Black leather biker gloves
Black and white dog tooth Lira Leirner bracelet
Givenchy tights

Today was a mad, mad day. I woke up at 2am to get some more pattern cutting done as I was planning on getting to the market as soon as the chauffeur was back on duty from his weekend. By the time he arrived at 9am I had also written two blog posts and an article and done the calculations for the different fabrics and costings. However, my grandmother had taken one car and was gone all day and my mum had the other - so I had to wait until one was actually free. Instead of wasting my time (HA HA as if) I finished the rest of the patterns and did some more work. I had picked out the most common outfit possible, which I had approved by the girls (nurse of my great grandmother and the cook) - gray skinny trousers and a gray check shirt with navy blue ballerina flats. The only reason there's no picture of that outfit is because I was called and invited to join my other great grandmother for lunch so I had to get changed into my normal self almost as soon as I had lovingly arranged the "most normal as possible" look. But as I had to do it so quickly the look is pretty similar to the one from yesterday except black instead of caramel.

At lunch I got invited to a concert and a bit of an annoyance ensued when I was judged upon the fact that I have a bad namory and could not identify any of the composers and/ or conductors and even music halls despite the fact that I had actually been to their concerts.

Anyway, after lunch I got changed into the "gray" outfit and we headed off to several fabric shops - there are four main roads that are dedicated entirely to fabric: 25 de Marco, Bras, Bom Retiro and another one I don't remember the name of. I wasn't allowed to take my camera as it would have attracted attention and unlike in London, that's a pretty bad idea here. I had to pop into at least 10 fabric shops before being directed to one that had everything I needed. Quickly rushing home to get ready for the concert, at which time I was confronted with the failure of my straightening iron which did not get on with the Brazilian plugs. My hair looked awful so the nurse, who for some miracle reason is also a gifted hairdresser, tried to fix it with whatever was available in terms of appliances in the house whilst my 99 year old great grandmother looked on peacefully.

photo

Gray vintage Emporio Armani dress
Black velvet 5 inch heels (ouch I tell ya)
Black velvet clutch with pearl detailing
Black Yorkshire Pearl bracelet
Brown vintage real fox fur
Pearl headband and earrings

At the concert itself it became immensely apparent that I didn't have a clue. Every second person was some kind of starlet/ important person who all knew my granddad, who in turn proudly showed me off like a pretty puppy (Butters comes to mind, seriously). The other aspect that struck me was the fact that every second woman there had a Chanel bag and believe you me, they were not fake. Pearls were the weapon, I mean jewelry of choice... usually around 5 strings or more.



The concert itself, though, was breath taking especially from our seats BEHIND the orchestra. I was a bit confused about the fact that the cellos were placed on the right side of the stage behind the first violins... that must be terribly confusing for the conductor, I thought. Man, was I wrong. And having a seat behind the philharmonic orchestra of Munich did mean that the violin by Mayuko Kamio seemed a bit far off as the sound was obviously directed toward the inside of the hall. However, none of this overshadowed the brilliance of one of the most important conductors of classical western music alive today - and rightly so. Can you believe Zubin Mehta didn't need notes? He had the ENTIRE evening program in his head - for every single one of over a hundred musicians. It blows my mind.

http://newsroom.lmu.edu/Assets/University+Relations+Division/Newsroom/Zubin+Mehta.JPG

Watching his expressions and joy was worth the seat. Watching him alone made the music I was listening to all the more special, I had a better feel for the pieces because it was like seeing someone dance and move with the notes and give the pleasure to multiple senses. I got home at 1am and am now writing another post. I had to "rest my eyes" every now and then during the concert but now I'm wide awake. Once you pass that hurdle it's easy, just like a side stitch you needed to ignore and work through when doing long runs at school. After that, it's just a trance, a blissful state of existence. Or, you know, mmmm zzzz with open eyes.