Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Outfit: Handmade

The pattern that I bought to make this skirt (I wouldn't normally buy a skirt pattern since they are like three pieces, but it was cheap and I thought it would be good to practice reading patterns) said it was super easy and for very-beginning sewers. Silly me thought that meant it would take like 20 minutes to make. Try more like 5 hours. Embarrassing, I know.

Of course, the fact that I kept on sewing things wrong and spending twice as long ripping seams out as I was putting them in may have had something to do with it.

Also, I was quite grumpy towards the end of it, due to the following conversation:

Mom: "Be careful not to let that fabric bunch up underneath while you sew it."
Leanna: "I KNOW, mom," said in a haughty,irritated tone because any dummy can tell you not to let the fabric bunch up.
[Leanna begins to sew, fabric bunches up underneath, Leanna sews right over it and has to spend the next 15 minutes ripping out stitches and resewing it.]

How come moms are always right?

I'm just happy that the skirt actually turned out wearable, otherwise my 5 hours of agony would have been all for naught.

Sorry I don't know the price of the shoes... I've had them for so long and never worn them before and I can't remember. I'd guess less than $13, though.