Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Music Monday: April Smith and the Great Picture Show

Yes, I know it's not Monday. But I completely forgot to do a Music Monday post on Monday because, well, I was thinking about other things on Monday. So better late than never, right?
Name: April Smith and the Great Picture Show
Style: Folk pop
Sounds like/similar to: Adele, Kate Nash, The Hush Sound

It seems like very week a find a new favorite female singer. While my male favorites have remained the same for years now (Matthew Bellamy and Brandon Flowers for the win!), it's like there is no end to the sea of female voices I fall in love with week after week. The current #1 on my list is now Miss April Smith (I added the "miss", I actually have no clue if she's married or not) since I heard her on my Florence + the Machine Pandora station. That station never fails to amaze me every time I turn it on. Who knew there were so many talented female singers out there?

Anyways, I was talking about April Smith. What a neat, fun, fresh voice she has! She handles the fast paced songs very well, and then positively shines on the slower ballads. The CD as a whole has a very nice variety of styles, with a bit of folk, a bit of rock, a bit of pop, usually in some strange combination that somehow works together to form good music.

Listen on YouTube:
Songs for a Sinking Ship
1. Movie Loves a Screen
2. Terrible Things
3. Drop Dead Gorgeous
4. Can't Say No
5. What I'll Do
6. Colors
7. Dixie Boy
8. The One the Got Away
9. Beloved
10. Wow and Flutter
11. Stop Wondering

My favorites: Movie Loves a Screen, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Colors

Buy the CD on Amazon, or get the Mp3 Download.