Monday, February 21, 2011

Music Monday: Esperanza Spalding

Name: Esperanza Spalding
Style: Jazz

The only reason I know who Esperanza Spalding is is because she beat Justin Bieber and got the Best New Artist Grammy last week. It's the best thing that Justin Bieber has ever done for me... lose! 

Well, in reality I suppose the only reason I know who she is is because of Justin Bieber's fans, who were so upset about their idol losing that they posted nasty messages on Esperanza's Wikipedia page, which several news sites reported on. After reading about the things that people were writing about her, I decided that I was going to buy her CD, because anyone who can upset Justin Bieber fans that much deserves a high five and a few bucks from my pocket.

Luckily for me I actually like her music (I hadn't listened to any of it before I bought it), and wanted to share it with you on this lovely Music Monday. She has a very smooth, soulful voice, and her instrumental skills are impressive.When was the last time you saw a singer playing string bass? It's kind of awesome.

Listen on YouTube...
Chamber Music Society

Or Buy and download it on Amazon (it's cheaper than on Tunes).