Sunday, February 27, 2011

2011 Academy Awards Red Carpet

I have to admit, I thought there was a whole lot of LAME on the red carpet tonight. Something is not right when my favorite two dresses of the night were worn by singers who were just there to perform. Step it up, actresses.

And the Oscar goes to...
Florence Welch! Oh. my. word. Is that not the most gorgeous dress you have ever seen? I want to get married in it. And sleep in it. And die in it. I'm watching the ceremony right now and can't wait for her to perform. Good luck, Florence!

Other pretties:
 Mandy Moore. Not nearly as pretty in this pic as is was on TV, but still pretty.

 Cate Blanchett. When this first showed up on my TV, I wanted to scream because I thought it was so ugly. But the more I saw it, the more it grew on me. And now as I write this, I love it. It's so stunning, so unique.

A few "almost there" folks:
 Michelle Williams. The dress is lovely, but it needs something else. A statement necklace or a pair of giant earrings would have done the trick quite well.

 Amy Adams. She has the opposite problem: that necklace needs to go. The dress is killer, though, so it's unfortunately she chose to gunk it up with the tacky jewelry.

Hailee Steinfeld. Super cute dress. The people on TV kept on trying to convince me that thing on her head is a tiara, but that ain't no tiara. It's a headband, and needs to go. Wearing her hair down would have also helped. But lots of brownie points for effort.

Aaaand, the failures:
 Anne Hathaway. Everyone was freaking out about how gorgeous this is, but I don't get it. It looked like she had a tumor growing on her, uhm, rear.

 Nicole Kidman. Hahahahahahahahaha. That is all.

Melissa Leo. When they showed this close up on TV it literally looked like a toddler had dumped a bucket of gold confetti over her. I'm pretty sure I could make this same dress with said confetti and a lace table cloth.

Who were your favorites? Failures?