Thursday, December 30, 2010

Purse Part 2

I decided to make a purse similar to the one I showed you guys the other day (click HERE for that blog) as a Christmas present for my sister. It's the same pattern, with a few minor differences. First of all, it's a tad bigger, because I switched from a 5/8" seam allowance to 1/4" and didn't alter the pattern size. Second, I used a fusible fleece for all of the outside fabric so it's much more cushion-y and protective. Third, the strap is a bit shorter because I actually remembered to measure it, unlike the one I made for myself.
Fourth, I switched to using magnetic closures instead of hand-sew snaps. SO MUCH EASIER. I don't know why on earth I ever bothered with hand-sewing...
And obviously, the fabric is different. This one is a nice light canvas with a black and white toile de jouy print (there's a nice phrase for your foreign-language vocabulary).

My sister suggested I do tutorials on my sewing projects, which I think is a pretty decent idea. So unpack those old sewing machines and brush up on your stitching skills, because in probably about 3 weeks or so I'll be starting to sew again (my whole family is home right now, which means zero time for craftiness) and I'll try to work on some tutorials.