Monday, December 27, 2010

Music Monday: Elbow

Their Name: Elbow
Their Style: Alternative Rock
Sounds Like/Similar To: Something about their melodies and tunes remind me of Coldplay, but they are pretty unique from the bands I've listened to.

Elbow has been around since before I was born (they played their first show in 1990), and it's a good thing I didn't know that until about 15 minutes ago, otherwise I may have never given them a chance. Their latest album The Seldom Seen Kid has been occupying my iTunes library for probably over a year now without having been listened to once when I finally discovered it for the first time. And, as is usual when I come across a new band that I love, I have been listening to it non-stop for the past week. Their lead singer has a very soulful, somewhat husky voice, and he uses it well to tell the stories that Elbow is presenting.

The main thing I have come to love about Elbow is their lyrics. These are not necessarily uplifting, happy, or moral lyrics, but they are smart lyrics which is more than can be said for most albums these days. A few examples:

"I'm stopping by your place of work and acting like I haven't dreamed of you and I and marriage in an orange grove. You are the only thing in any room you're ever in." -Starlings

"So yes, I guess I'm asking you to back a horse that's good for glue, and nothing else." -Starlings

"There's a hole in my neighborhood down which of late I cannot help but fall." -Grounds for Divorce (not a happy song, but it's so well written! Most people would just have said 'bar')

"I have an audience with the Pope, and I'm saving the world at eight, but if she says she needs me, everybody's gonna have to wait." -An Audience with the Pope

... and they just go on and on. It's so refreshing to listen to something more intelligent than the "I love you, baby/Let's get married" type of drivel that most musicians spew out these days. Perhaps it's because they are older?

While not a lyrical masterpiece like some of the others, One Day Like This is one of the most glorious songs I've ever heard before. Every time it comes on I just want to stand on my bed and shout "HOLY COW, I LOVE YOUR EYES!" at the top of my lungs. Listen to it and I'm sure you will, too.

In addition to their well-written songs, I adore the feeling of the whole CD. I can listen to it from start to finish and feel like I've gone on some sort of journey. It opens beautifully, builds momentum, and then slowly tapers down at the end. Whoever chose the track order for this album deserves a standing ovation.

The Seldom Seen Kid
1. Starlings*
2. The Bones of You*
3. Mirrorball
4. Grounds for Divorce*
5. An Audience with the Pope*
6. Weather to Fly
7. The Loneliness of a Town Crane Driver*
8. The Fix
9. Some Riot*
10. One Day Like This**
11. Friend of Ours
12. We're Away

Well shucks, I starred half of the songs. Can you tell I like this album? They are coming out with a new one in March 2011... you can be sure I will be snapping it up the first second I can.