Tuesday, July 6, 2010

CHUCK'S ICONIC WARDROBE PIECES

Net-A-Porter is running a contest celebrating 10 years of Net-A-Porter, that ends at midnight tonight. The contest, which I entered :), inspired me to do a post on my 10 most iconic pieces in my wardrobe--and if not in my wardrobe (currently), items that will sometime soon be installed there.

And so, without further babbling, my list:

(Well, I mean Net-A-Porter's list first, as a reference piece)





1. Killer Heels


[Loeffler Randall heels--p.s. his Boots are TO DIE FOR--one day, one day they (the boots) will be mine, oh yes.]

I've only recently jumped head first into wearing heels. I've always admired them from afar, yet never had the cajones to full out wear them all the time. I don't know why, but lately heels have been on my mind. I picked up that killer brown pair from Banana Republic--remember?! And my eBay black Nine West scores a few months before I moved to GA... I've yet to acquire the perfect 'killer heel'--I know they are still out there, but it's not easy having a size 11 shoe, and being picky. You try walking in my shoes for a day, trust me, if you don't fall over your own feet after the first 10 minutes, you'll fall up or down the stairs after 30... It happens. Frequently.

2. Classic Trench

[Nephew, Brayden and I in Jan 2010 at Arlington National Cemetery]

My current trench is not your typical 'trench' color. It's green. I love it. I bought it on a RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING sale at Gap. I believe it was originally over $180, and I scored it for under $35. Yay me!
I have been scouting for a normal trench, a not so colorful/not so WOOL one, but I've yet to find one I like that is in my budget. Being down in GA right now I'm not really in the need for one, or for my green one right now for that matter, however it doesn't mean that I can't hope a nice trench will fall into my lap :)

3. Everyday Leather Tote

I don't yet have a pick for the leather tote. Like I've said before, I'm picky. I want to feel the bag, test it out, see what it can do, before I decide... I'm not in the need for a tote right now. Maybe come next spring/fall with my final decision on Grad/Law school (spring or fall of next year being when I start) I'll have a better idea for my idea of the iconic leather tote...

4. Bold Necklace

 [I got a little overly excited on graduation day... with the self-portraits and all]

In my opinion a BOLD necklace can be understated or overstated. The pearl necklace is a TIMELESS piece of jewelry, heck, it is THE TIMELESS PIECE. Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn, CoCo Chanel, HELLO! These women are style icons, they were always in pearls. I received my first pearl necklace (and matching earrings) from my Aunt Lise this past January as a college graduation gift--literally the best graduation present ever... It made me so happy to take my college graduation photos wearing my own set of pearls. All of the women in my family wore pearls for their graduation photos from high school, and unfortunately it was not a tradition that my mother supported. Therefore I was completely blown away on the morning of my college graduation to find that my Aunt had purchased a set just for me!

5. Wear with anything Skinny Jeans

I jumped on the skinny jean bandwagon almost two years ago now, and I haven't looked back. I'm a size 12, size 10 (TODAY while dress shopping--Get excited), and sometimes a 14, and I NEVER thought that a girl my size could pull off the skinny jean look. I always criticized the look as tacky or lame, or unfair in some way because girls my size just didn't look right in them. Well I learned my lesson with my first pair, and now my jean collection has more skinny jeans than anything. My Go-To pair are made by Silver Jeans, a Canadian company, whose jeans I purchase off of eBay for ridiculously discounted prices. Lately I've been wearing Banana Republic jeans (via eBay as well) and have found them to be EXCELLENT for wear and performance. I tend to wear my skinnies with my beloved boots, but in the summer if I hope into a pair of jeans I usually pair them with a pair of flats of some sort and the look looks great :) [lots of double words there, sorry].

6. Supersized Sunglasses


If you know me, and you know me well, you know my sunglasses of choice are the Aviators. My ideal aviators of choice are Ray Ban's, but right now their cost for a pair of sunglasses is out of my price range, simply due to the way that I go through pairs of them.

7. Chic Tee

[Deep V in cream... I'm pretty sure last summer I had 6 of these babies in white, not counting the 4 I had in black, and the various other colors that are still in my drawers]

For me this one is easy.
I lived all last summer in American Apparel Deep V-Neck shirts (specifically the 'summer shirt' because of its added length). This summer it is the same thing however my budget has changed to the more affordable, however non-lasting, V-necks from Target and Old Navy. Where I would buy one or two AA's I now buy 3 or 4 non-AA's just because it's a quicker and cheaper fix for the time being--sometime soon I'll go back to AA's... crossing my budgeting fingers. I love, love, love (and miss) my V-necks! I can pair them with anything, and dress them up or dress them down.

8. Little Black Dress

[Anniversary dinner from last year with the ex, Sum's Bachelorette Party June 2009--cheesy ass picture that always cracks me up--just look at my face! And what is with the peace sign?!, Graduation 2010]

This was my entry choice for the contest! And the one I definitely stand firmly behind.
Nothing says makes a statement like a timeless Little Black Dress--this one I purchased from H&M for under forty bucks! I have found my LBD to be more versatile [and most flattering] than any other article of clothing in my closet. I have worn it to anniversary dinners, black-out-bachelorette parties, and recently to my college graduation. I've dressed it up with pearls and peep toes, and dressed it down with a simple cardigan and a pair of flats. This is a dress that I will take with me everywhere; it is my Go-To piece for emergencies of the fashion kind. The LBD is my choice for the most statement-making outfit of my last ten years [and most likely the next ten years to come].



9. Statement Clutch


 My Uh-Uh had LOADS of purses, bags, and clutches when we moved her out of the condo... Me, being the semi-stylish/fashion conscious/the only one who would use the majority of it all got to keep most of her stuff that we didn't give or throw away. This clutch is one of the many items of hers that I kept. It's black, leather, has great texture, is in great shape, both cosmetically and design wise... it is definitely one of my favorite pieces. It got bumped to the top-TOP of the list due to the surprise that I found inside! A pair of pristine, black leather and lace gloves, that fit my LONG fingers/hands FREAKING PERFECTLY!!! I died and went to fashion/glamorous heaven when I found them.

10. Super Chic Ballet Flats

[Tory Burch Reva Flat]

Finally flats.
Can I just tell you that BEFORE flats became the "thing" a handful of years ago, ALL I DID WAS LOOK FOR FLATS! I have been taller than most people my age for longer than I can remember. Oh whoopie genetics... ugh. I always tried to find ways to AVOID being taller than those around me, specifically guys. Eventually I stopped freaking out so much, and I embrace my height more and more each day, but back then, I LOOKED EVERYWHERE for flats in my size and NEVER FOUND THEM. Now-a-days it's a little easier for me to find a pair that I like, but I still run into problems when they end up costing me over $100 a pair... Hello, flats, me, wear out QUICKLY... spending over $100 is not the best idea... However owning a pair of Tory Burch flats is definitely on my list, and it's on my list for sometime SOON.