Thursday, January 21, 2010

UH-UH's FLASHBACK FRIDAY [ii]

My Uh-Uh liked to read.

Both her old home (the CONDO) and the home that she lived in and passed down to my Aunt and Uncle (the one in which I currently live in today) were filled from the ceiling to the floor with books. Books on the walls, books in nooks & crannies, books in boxes... Books everywhere.

Some of my first memories of books and of reading are those that involve both of my grandmothers. I credit both of them with instilling in me the love that I have for the written word, for classic literature, and for the pure joy that comes from reading a good story.

I might not have the ability to express my words and feelings like some can with the written word, but often times I find it easier to express my feelings through writing than I do expressing them verbally. This is because of my grandmothers.

This is because my Uh-Uh loved to read me stories.

It's because her glass coffee table with it's giant gold claw footed legs was always covered with stacks of library books every time I came to visit. It's because she often stayed up past the witching hour reading. Sitting in the corner of her large white couch with a book and a blanket to keep her feet warm while she read.

It's because of my Uh-Uh that I finally broke down and opened a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. While moving her out of the CONDO I grabbed a few of her old books before they were discarded into the Goodwill bin. AND can I just say: Thank Goodness that I did this.

Hands DOWN! This book, and might I add that I am only 200+ pages into it's 1000 pages, is the BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ IN MY LIFE! A novel has never made me think as much as this book has. Written in the 50's and being read by me in the grand 'ole year of 2010, I find myself thinking about things--life, the world, human nature, respect, work ethic, love, politics, EVERYTHING--more than I ever have before. With this book I find that my eyes have been opened to so much more. I always hated AP English in high school because of the BS surrounding breaking down novels, symbolism, allusions, imagery, etc., but this book changes everything for me! If you have not yet had a chance to read this book. Do so please. Put it on your list. Seriously.

Now back to the Flashback part of Uh-Uh's Flashback Friday:

I was about 50 some odd pages into Atlas Shrugged when I had this thought (I jotted it down on a paper bag so that I could share this with you...):
"Sitting here reading one of her books, knowing that at some point my Uh-Uh was doing this exact same thing, maybe in the same position as I'm in now puts me in a comfortable state of peace.
She and I are awfully alike.
I admire her greatly. Her will, her self-importance, her overall strength of character, who she was, what she overcame, what she grew into, and what she became.
I respect her greatly..."
... and to finish that though now: and I miss her greatly.

Thanks to this book... I felt a little bit closer to my Uh-Uh. Can a book really do that?



It's a secret (well not so secret anymore) of mine to one day do all that she has done (in my own way of course). She and I are two very different women, yet as I said before, we are alike in so many ways.

My Uh-Uh loved to travel. It is my hope one day to visit all of the places that she did. To see them, experience them, and remember them. I don't want to grow up to be her... I want to be my own woman one day, but I have every intention of achieving what she did and of being as strong as she was/is... every intention of respecting her, remembering her, and honoring her.





THe photo upload was not working... I'll update this with pictures on Sunday when I get back.