Tuesday, January 26, 2010

PHONE NUMBER FIASCOS!

So... I NEVER GIVE MY NUMBER OUT. EVER. It's just a personal thing I do not like to do. Long before the ex-bf became an ex, or even became my bf, I never liked giving my number out. It was crossing a personal boundary that I never wanted to cross.

Well two weeks ago I broke my rule. I decided to cross my personal line in the sand and do the deed. Little did I know that this would turn out to be the worst decision ever, and the best stalker story ever!

I was out in the Newark bars with S&S, the night of my homage to Top Gun, when I saw this guy in the bar whom I used to go to Towson with.
Back in my single days of living in the dorms I bumped into this cutie baseball player a few times--Let's call him RedSucks, due to his ginger hair coloring and baseball playing status. Every once in a while I would see RedSucks in my building or on campus, and once in a blue moon I would ride the elevator up with him.
Well 4ish years later I see RedSucks in the bars of Newark. What a coincidence... and how Weird! I tell the girls the story of how I have seen this guys before, and of my former college freshman girl crush on him. They finally convince me to go say hi. After an hour or so of scoping him out, and being the volunteer EVERY TIME to go get drinks for our table, I manage to bump into him and say: "Hey this might sound weird, but did you go to Towson? Because I think you might have lived in my building."
The conversation that follows... I am not proud of, oh well truthfully I am, just because I pulled it off so well and nonchalantly.

RedSucks: "Yeah I did. What building did you live in?"
Me: "Tower B."
RedSucks: "No way! I lived there. What floor did you live on?"
Me: "The 4th floor, what about you?"
RedSucks: "The 5th floor. That's so crazy."
Me: "Wow, that is crazy."
RedSucks: "So what are you doing here?
Me: "Oh, well I'm just up here visiting a friend. I live close by so I said I'd meet up with her."
RedSucks: "Where is close by?"
Me: "About 20 mins from here."
RedSucks: "No way! Me too!"

We chit-chatted a bit more about where we lived and what we were doing now--during break and post graduation. After a few mins I said I had to get back to my friends and that I'd see him around...
I returned to the table with our drinks and shared my story with the girls... who all agreed that I had to give him my number. I tell them it's against my rules... it's not my thing, yet they persist. As we go to leave the bar and head downstairs to the next bar they convince me to do it. And the little voice inside me, who adamantly dislikes and disagrees with phone number giving backs down a little and says: "Why not?!"

So I do the deed. I give him my number and say: "If you're ever in town and want to hang out give me a call sometime." RedSucks replies: "Alright. sure. See you later."
The group I'm with heads downstairs and that was that. I honestly didn't think I'd get a call or a text back, or any other type of response... but 4 days later I did.

RedSucks texts: "Hey, it's RedSucks from Kildares, a bunch of friends and I are going out to Newark tonight, do you want to come hang out?"
After a few mins I respond: "Sure, I was already planning on going up there tonight with some friends, but I can break off and meet up with you."
So we made plans to meet up later, after I got off work, at the bar below Kildares--Grottos.

10:00PM rolls around and I get into Newark. Grottos is packed so I text RedSucks and tell him I'll be upstairs at Kildares, and to text me when he is around. He gets back to me at 10:30PM and says that he is leaving his friends house...
12:00AM Comes and goes and I've heard nothing. At this point I tell myself I'm done with this guy. Truly, I'm neither mad about the situation or upset about it; honestly I'm indifferent about it... I'm just fine and dandy hanging out with my friends at the bar. Well the girls were not as okay as I was about the situation. They decided that I needed to text the guy and see where he was or what was going on... so I texted: "Are we still meeting?"
12:45AM arrives and no word. We head down to Grottos, grab a few drinks and chill. Stacey goes to the bathroom... I'm chit-chatting with Steve and his friend when out of the corner of my eye I see RedSucks! No shit! I swear.
I am just a bit annoyed and more so buzzed and not caring that I make no effort to get RedSucks attention. I don't care. His loss. Next!
Stacey comes back and I tell her what she missed. She is livid that the guy is/was there and that he never got in touch with me. "Really, I don't care" I say. She replies... "What about the bouncer guy? He was nice when we walked in, and cute too."
True, he was. He said I had a nice smile when he carded me and gave me my wristband. "Eh, why not. I'll do it. Watch my drink, I'll be back"
If those are not someones famous last words, or the last words of a girl who goes off with some stranger and gets her head lopped off by a crazy axe murderer I don't know what else they are...

I go up to bouncer guy, who will FOREVER be known as TheStalker!, and chat him up a bit. He seems really nice, down to earth, funny, but midway through the conversation, AFTER I gave him my number, I figured out that I wasn't feelin' it. There was just something itching in the back of my mind saying: "eh, nevermind, my bad."... I say see you around, he says: "I'll call you later."

(BAD SIGN!!! This is foreshadowing to some craziness if I've ever read/seen/heard it before)

We leave around 1AM, I get home around 1:30AM, he calls shortly after that. I'm in bed with a glorious buzz from the Cranberry&Vodkas and the DoubleLongIslands and almost asleep. I DO NOT ANSWER the phone. He leaves a message (of course).

The next day he calls at 7PM. I can't answer--it's my 1st day at the new job, I can't answer the phone and get bitched at or possibly fired.
1:30AM HE CALLS and leaves a message. I'm sleeping--I worked from 9AM to 9PM at the new job--I'm SLEEPING--HELLO!
I listen to the message on my way to work: "Hey it's me TheStalker!, I just thought I'd call and say hi. I guess you're a little busy. Call me back later. Bye!"
The next evening... I'm at work--7ish PM he calls again. Same story, I can't answer.
1:55AM HE CALLS AGAIN AND LEAVES A MESSAGE. Wtf? Does he not know that it's bed time?!
The message follows the gist of the last one. His voice is quite chipper and excited. Maybe my voice recording is turning him on... GOOD JESUS I hope not! "message...It's TheStalker!... message...message... okay, I'll talk to you later."
Day 3: He calls AGAIN around 7ish... he's like clockwork.

What the hell have I done?
I'll never give my number out again, this is CRAZY!!


Saturday arrives. TheStalker! hasn't called me since Thursday at 1ish AM. I'm on my ski vacation. I don't have a care in the world, other than not killing myself on the slopes. I've decided if he calls me I'm going to let one of the guys answer the phone. I'm beyond creeped out by this Stalker of a guy. I know having one of the guys answer is a complete cop-out, and is probably the RUDE-est thing ever, but I don't know what to do. I can't answer or call him back because I can't be mean to the guy. He is CLEARLY into me and he was so nice, but DAMN he is creeping me out!
I'm in the middle of my ski lesson. It's 5ish PM and he calls. He leaves a message: "Hey it's me TheStalker!. I've tried to call you a few times (YEAH RIGHT YOU LIAR--YOU'VE CALLED ME A BILLION TIMES!!!!), and I guess you are busy. (He sounds not so chipper this time--eh whatever.) Give me a call back when you get some time. I'll talk to you later."
Well, so much for my plan of getting one of the guys to answer. Dammit.

Sunday night: Saints vs. the Vikings. Around half time I work up the cajones to text TheStalker!. Is it bad that I had him programed into my phone as DO NOT ANSWER?! Nah, I didn't think so either. I text DO NO ANSWER, i.e. TheStalker!, and say: "I'm sorry that I haven't been able to answer your calls but I've been working or sleeping. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I get some free time."

What does he do?! He texts me at 1 AM and says "Ok".






Oh me-Oh my-Oh. I will never give my number out again!
What the hell!?