Wednesday, January 27, 2010

SOME PEOPLE SMOKE CRACK... I BAKE PIES.

This morning/afternoon I whipped up a pie.

Then I got a little crazy and whipped up 12 mini pies!

Obviously I'm losing my mind!

Sue me. I don't have a day job... I need something to keep me entertained until 5pm when I have to go to work. I realize now that some people smoke crack... and I bake pies. We [myself and the crack smokers] will both probably die around the same time and our teeth will probably rot at the same rate. Me from obesity due to all of the sweets I've been baking and eating... them from all the crack they've been smoking. It's really a win-win-lose situation.

But anywho... skipping past the rest of my rant/reasonings for why people smoke crack; I present you with the newest pie to my recipe box of deliciousness:
The Lemon Meringue Pie
(I used a combination and variation of 2 recipes. Emeril and Paula Deen are to thank for today's Pies.)

[My creative Pie Circle]

[My creative Flower Pie]

[Emeril said I could add a little something extra]

[The big pie!]

[The big pie from the side]

Are you Hungry yet?!

...

Because you should be!


For both pies I kept the method and ingredients from Emeril's recipe (for both the pie and the pie crust), but then for the mini pies I used pre-made graham cracker crusts (1 recipe for filling filled 12 total crust shells).
Both recipes are a little quirky with their final directions for baking.
After I filled the shells/crusts with the custard filling I baked the pies then covered them with meringue and torched the white fluffy stuff (Yes, I said TORCH! A little kitchen blow torch to be exact. We don't mess around in Cecil County. When we want to torch something we bring out the big guns... I didn't use the easy broiler method like the recipes called for. I'm a rebel.) (Not really, I just really wanted to play with the torch!)
The big pie I baked for about 20-25 mins, the little pies for about 10-12 mins, until the custard was set. Then I applied the meringue topping.

The big pie goes to my friend Grant, who suggested/requested the Lemon Meringue, and the little pies stay here with the family. I might end up taking a few down the street to my neighbors. They like my pies :)



Now time to get ready for work! And to ponder what my next baking/cooking project will be.