Sunday, March 21, 2010

The most ambitious undertaking ever!

OK, so maybe not THE MOST ambitious ever, but it's probably up there somewhere...

A while back my older sister Lindsey introduced me to a Shakespeare quote from King Lear that I just haven't been able to get out of my head. It's in the last scene of the play, and it's a man (King Lear) speaking to his daughter (Cordelia), fantasizing about spending the rest of their lives in prison.

So here they is, the most magnificent Shakespeare lines ever:

KING LEAR:
Come, let's away to prison:
We two alone will sing like birds i' the cage:
When thou dost ask me blessing, I'll kneel down,
And ask of thee forgiveness: so we'll live,
And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh
At gilded butterflies, and hear poor rogues
Talk of court news; and we'll talk with them too,
Who loses and who wins; who's in, who's out;
And take upon's the mystery of things,
As if we were God's spies: and we'll wear out,
In a wall'd prison, packs and sects of great ones,
That ebb and flow by the moon.

Gasp! Isn't is just amazing?

So anyhow, here is my idea. I am going to break this quote up into 20 lines and have each line be a theme for a treasury on Etsy. So basically, my next 20 treasuries are going to be based off of this Shakespeare quote. How awesome is that?

So here's how the break down is going to go...

1) Come, let's away to prison
2) We two alone
3) Will sing like birds i' the cage
4) When thou dost ask me blessing
5) I'll kneel down
6) And ask of thee forgiveness
7) So we'll live, and pray, and sing
8) And tell old tales
9) And laugh at gilded butterflies
10) And hear poor rogues
11) Talk of court news
12) And we'll talk with them too
13) Who loses and who wins
14) Who's in, who's out
15) And take upon's the mystery of things
16) As if we were God's spies
17) And we'll wear out
18) In a wall'd prison
19) Packs and sects of great ones
20) That ebb and flow by the moon.


Some of them are going to be pretty easy to create a treasury around ("Let's away to prison", "and laugh at gilded butterflies", etc.), while others I'm going to have to work a bit harder for ("And here poor rogues"? What the heck will I do for that one?).

But the bottom line is that I think it's going to be insanely fun. It'll be hard, time-consuming, and tedious, but I think the result will be some really awesome treasuries. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

First up will be:
"Come, let's away to prison"

It will probably be the easiest one of the whole group, so it's a good way to start out. I already have my poster sketch drawn up for it, and not surprisingly it contains a lot of black and white stripes. :)

I'll have to wait a few days because I just made a treasury yesterday, but once I get it up I'll be sure to post a blog about it. Check back soon!