Sunday, March 21, 2010

THE EDAMAME MASSACRE

Friday I arrived at the liquor store for my 5 to midnight shift.

I get my dinner from San Sushi Too next door: A dish of edamame (yummy!), a salmon nigiri and an egg tamago. I take my dinner back to work, consume the sushi and place the edamame next to my computer on my side the counter.

A man walks in, I've seen him once or twice before. I don't know his name, but he's a technical "regular". He goes to the back, grabs a 30 of Miller Light and a box of Franzia 'Crisp White'. He walks to the front. He places his 30 pack and box of wine on the counter. He then proceeds to go:

"OOOOH!"

And without any further warning he REACHES ACROSS THE COUNTER and OVER then AROUND my laptop and PLACES HIS HAND/Grubby dirty fingers OVER and ON MY EDAMAME!!

He wiggles his finger over my delicious soy beans, touches one or two, and says "MMMMM Yummm!"

I was officially rendered speechless. UNTIL it hit me that some random man was touching MY FOOD!

I said "Excuse me! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What is wrong with you? You don't do that!"

Then I snatch up my germ encrusted edamame and throw it in the trashcan.

He proceeds to become offended after this and says: "What was wrong with it? Why did you throw it away?"

(once again) "Are you kidding me?! You just TOUCHED MY FOOD!"

Man: "No I didn't. I just waved my hands over top of it."

Offended and Grossed Out Me: "Yes you did! I saw you, and EVEN IF you didn't touch it... that is disgusting! I don't know you. You don't just put your hands in, on or over someone's food! You have ruined my dinner. I'm not going to eat it now!"

Man: "I didn't touch your food. You didn't have to throw it away."

Me: "YES I did. Your total is $34.60 sir..."

He hands me his credit card.

Me: "Have a nice day."

He snarfles some more about how he didn't touch my food, I put my blank (FU) face on and repeat "Have a nice day."


SERIOUSLY!

Who does that?!


********************

Luckily for me my friend was next to me at the time and WITNESSED this whole Edamame Massacre go down, and he happens to work next door at San Sushi Too... so he came back with a BIG plate of edamame for me (on the house) to replace the trashed/germ-ified plate of edamame!