Monday, April 18, 2011

Portmanteau Preps: Day two at the V&A and Yohji Yamamoto

Image by Mummy Portmanteau

Vintage cream silk blouse
Zara Navy blue silk cardigan
Pringle of Schottland cream pleat skirt
Rupert Sanderson cream and white rimmed leather heels
Lira Leirner yellow-gold and black checked raw silk and leather jacket
Black hair bow
Calvin Klein black watch

Continuing the indulgence of the imaginary sartorial pathway "If I had been a Prep girl", the second day of Mummy Portmanteau's visit to the big smoke took us to see Yohji Yamamoto's collection at the V&A in a brightly lit sterile show space which made me feel like I was back in fashion week and not in a museum. Some of the pieces were truly jaw droppingly beautiful and I found myself drawn to red pieces more than any other. Quite charmingly, I could see faults of finish and methods every now and then, in particular with his earlier pieces - for example, a full - train pure cashmere night gown had moth holes and another garment had it's beautiful front gathering pulling down the corner of the mid- button that would have benefitted from a discreet hook and eyes. Minute details, which always rock my nerves when I see them in my own garments while everyone around me seems to see only the positives, yes details nonetheless - made by a master of fashion sculpting. I know I should make this about myself, but it did make me feel better about the mistakes only I seem to see. However, when it comes to pleating and layering, I had goose bumps.


Isn't this the most beautiful mushrooming pleat sculptured dress you've ever seen? I find it hard to take my eyes off the red sleeveless pleated silk dress in homage to Madame Gres from the S/S 2005 collection



Beautiful red and black distressed boiled wool jacket with gathered front and long skirt from the /W 2009-10 collection and a red asymmetric light wool felt dress with crinoline from the A/W 1990-91 collection.

Black long dress with buttons from top to bottom at the front and on both sides in silk from the A/W 1995-1996 collection. This is a feature I've been meaning to incorporate into my pieces for a while but I never end up having the patience to actually implement it. One day... one day.

Black halter-neck long dress in homage to Madame Gres, with pleat detail in the front and black trousers in silk and satin from the S/S 2005 collection