Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cargoh Hates Me

***Warning: Large amounts of grumpiness are sure to follow***

So I recently applied to sell my jewelry at the online marketplace Cargoh. It's a fairly new site, but its design is pretty cool and I really felt like it would be a fun place to sell.

The big difference between Cargoh and other handmade marketplaces is that it's juried, meaning they pick who gets to sell there and who doesn't. You have to fill out an application and submit photos of your work, and then they make the decision and let you know if you've been accepted or not. I filled out the application 2 days ago and submitted it, and quite honestly I barely had any doubts about whether or not I'd be accepted. I'm sure this is probably going to sound conceited or whatever, but I have really nice photos, I have a good product, and I have a good reputation (100% positive feedback on Etsy). And after looking around at some other shops and Cargoh and seeing some of their less-than-stellar photos and whatnot, I felt like it wouldn't be a problem for me to be accepted.

So I was pretty surprised this morning when I checked my email and saw this:

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your submission to sell on the Cargoh Marketplace.

Unfortunately, your application to open a store has not been accepted at this time. The decision is in no way a commentary on the quality of your work, and we truly appreciate your submission.

We wish you all the best in your creative endeavors, and encourage you to resubmit any work you want us to check out in the future.

Humbly,

The Cargoh Team

So not only did they turn me down, but they gave me absolutely no reason why. Do they not like my pictures? Do they not like my style of work? Do they not like the way I write? WHAT IS IT? I find it insulting that they invite me to apply again in the future after they have supplied me with nothing to build upon. Why on earth would I ever apply there again after a useless response like that? I have no clue what to change to meet their standards. None at all.

Yeah, part of me being upset about this is because I didn't get accepted. It sucks to hear that you may not be quite as fabulous as you had assumed before, so maybe I'm making this out to be more than it really it out of anger. But really, the least you can do when you are turning someone down is to treat them with respect and tell them why it is that you don't want them. Because maybe their reason was something as simple as "Gee, we already have tons of jewelry sellers, so I don't think we need anymore", but to just say "it's not about the quality of your work" and leave it at that is extremely rude, because now I just get to sit here and imagine all of the awful reasons why they turned me down.

*Rant Over*

On a less-grumpy side note, I won Best Fashion Blog on XX, Libby's blog awards competition! Thanks for all who voted for me.