Friday, June 11, 2010

TWO BRIDES, the LSAT, GREASY TIRES and a FLEA (in that order)

This past weekend and week was and has been pretty crazy for me, hence my reasoning for the non-posting on my part. My bad.

Friday morning (of last week) I jumped on a plane back to MD to surprise Stacey for her bridal shower on Saturday. Admittedly, and shamefully, I haven't been the best MoH because of the Big Move, but thankfully Stacey's mom has been a blessing and was a blessing over the weekend. She organized an absolutely wonderful bridal shower for Stacey--who I might add made out like a bandit or like an only child during Christmas with her bridal gifts--luckyyyyy! :)

 Stacey--the blushing Bride-to-Be--and ME, da MoH :)
We were hot and sweaty, excuse the pony-tails--the humidity was frizzing out hair and melting off our makeup!
 [Not the greatest picture--sorry, I only had my camera phone with me--it was a 24 hour trip
I can only pack so much in my carry on bag.]

I had to leave the shower a little early to catch a flight back to GA so that I could drive an hour from the airport to a wooded resort north of Atlanta for the wedding weekend in honor of my Uncle Tony and my new Aunt Olga (his heavily Colombian accented and absolutely gorgeous new bride). The weekend turned into a mini family reunion--I just missed all of Friday and the majority of Saturday--BUT it was well worth it to surprise Stacey and make her happy--so when I arrived at the resort on Saturday night I walked into a HUGE family poker/card game, threw in my $5 AND kicked everyone's ass. [Hollar!]
I hugged and gave my "I missed you's and hello's" then walked away with all of their cash.
It was pretty sweet if I may say so myself.
I definitely made my Texas Hold'em loving brother proud when I knocked him out of the game.

The wedding was on Sunday afternoon, and I must say, the wedding of my Uncle Tony to my new Aunt Olga was the most beautiful wedding that I have ever had the honor to attend. Their marriage was a second marriage for both, both of them bringing 2 teenage children into an almost, but not quite Brady Bunch mix. The love in the room was immense. The love that radiated out of the two of them was absolutely beautiful. For two wonderful, hardworking, and loving people as my Uncle Tony and Olga, for two people like that to find love again, to find their true love/soulmates later in life--I was just honored to be there for that. Truly honored.
I teared up like a friggin' baby.
What else would you expect from me?!

Monday morning I woke up early, said my last goodbye's then drove into Atlanta to take the LSAT.
Please do not be fooled, when the test prep materials tell you that the LSAT will take 2.5 hours THEY ARE LYING TO YOU. I was at the Renaissance Hotel for 6.5 hours. Not including the 1.5 hours it took me to drive and battle traffic, or the 1.5 hours that I used to study in my car before the test... 6.5 freaking hours for a test that should only take 3 hours at the MAX. The people/professionals/"security guards" administering the LSAT were the most ill prepared individuals I have ever encountered in my life. The woman proctoring the exam kept pronouncing the LSAT as "La-sat" (SERIOUSLY!!!) each time she read the word instead of the correct way (L-S-A-T), and then would skip sections of the instructions during her reading, then decided after section 3 that a 15 minute break was unnecessary (um, yeah okay--NOT).
I lost brain cells on Monday.
Not because the test was hard. I admit, I struggled with it, but think I lost more brain cells due to the utter stupidity of the people/professionals/"security guards" administering the LSAT. Their cell phones were going off, the jewelry that the women were wearing jingled every time that they walked by, their inefficiency was just plain ridiculous. Oy. Just Oy.
I have a headache just thinking about it.
Thankfully, or not thankfully, I can check my scores on the 20th. I know my essay rocked :) Figures that the essay is the only part of the exam that ISN'T SCORED.
fml.

Tuesday through this morning I resumed my new, in between job with my brother.
I currently work at a tire supply/repair chain store counting tire inventory and moving said tires.
Yes.
You read that correctly.
Despite what many of you might presume from this here blog of mine, I'm not that much of a girlie-girl. I do thoroughly enjoy shopping, fashion,design, cooking/baking and all things related to spending money, but when push comes to shove, you will most often find me in a pair of jeans, flip-flops (or boots depending on the season), and a T-shirt, enjoying a piece of red meat, a bottle of wine and reading a book. I'm not one to get decked out and go out all the time, but then again I DO LOVE DRESSING UP, wearing a dress or a skirt, and doing my hair and makeup.
Basically, I love being girlie, but I like doing boy stuff and hanging with the guys WAY more than I like uber girlie stuff. Which is why this new job of mine hasn't yet driven me crazy... considering each afternoon when I come home I'm covered in grease and tire gunk. 
Did I mention that my uniform consists of black sneakers, black or white socks (above the ankle--ew and uncomfortable!), a pair of black Dickies utility shorts (which fall 2 inches BELOW my knees) or pants, and a black T-shirt that is 2 sizes too big on me (which must be tucked in). Oh!, and least I forget that I must wear a black belt and wear my hair up, where it is most often than not pulled up in a mess on top of my head--I work upstairs in the stacks and racks where all of the tires are stored. There is NO AC, barely any circulating air, and it is just plain HOT and HUMID. When I leave work I'm a sweaty, greasy mess.
SEXY, sexy, S-E-X-Y!

I kinda look like this after a hard day's work:

[via tFS]

Okay, I lie. I'm no where near that glamorous, or CLEAN when I leave work.
But hey, a girl can dream right!?

I will take a picture of myself after work one of these days. It is a pretty amusing uniform, especially on me, especially if you know me.
The job really isn't that bad; just hot and sweaty. The guys I work with are great. They crack me up and don't give me crap. I can hold my own there--i.e. I can lift and move the heavy tires--plus I make their job a little bit easier by making sure that their inventory is on point.
Like I said, this is just my transition/in between job until I hear back from all of the other jobs (centered around my major) that I've applied to and am still actively applying to.
[wish me luck]
it'd be much appreciated


Closing out my week: Bonnie, Lucky, and Nicole and I are heading to the local flea market tomorrow. I'm on the prowl for a handful of items for my room/apartment. Hopefully I can find everything that is on my wishlist there so that I can save $$.

I'll definitely post my findings this weekend and more pictures from this past weekend (as soon as my family gets on the ball and uploads them)!