Monday, August 16, 2010

Look makes the woman - Being cute keeps you warm


This is me if I were an animal. Spiky on the outside, easily on the defense but all soft and cuddly on the inside and relaxed only around those I trust

Despite the concrete warmth for the odd hour when the clouds have graced us with the joy of dispersing their curtains, I have felt quite cold lately. Today has been surprisingly warm and sunny, which is confusing my body, being fully aware that I have just figuratively detached "myself" from my body because I don't want to take the blame... Being ill and therefore having developed a very close relationship with my bed allowed me to wear pieces such as my roughed khaki silk Diesel trousers, a massive Valentino scarf (it's bigger than me when I open it up, I think "massive" is in order) and some sort of cashmere jumper as well as continuously, charmingly mismatched thick socks, preferably with cute motifs.


Found on The Very Simon G's Blog - best wellies ever

Cute. That's the cu(t)e. I stumbled upon a very cute picture today, which made me want to look at more cute things. Believe it or not, I feel a lot happier and warm and somehow fuzzy.

How much does looking at a certain repeated pattern and category triggering certain reactions from us actually impact our state of being?

Mark Twain was right to say "Clothes make the man" or more likely the woman, obviously. Again, how much does LOOKING at certain type of fashion actually impact our state of being? The common understanding is that it is what you wear that makes you who you are (that day).

Although the impact and reaction, therefore the immediate results from wearing certain fashion is certainly a statement I agree with, I believe the verb used is wrong. The important act in this transgression of events to achieve a certain resulting image perception is the act of LOOKING, first. If you cannot see yourself in what you are wearing, it is often difficult to feel different at all. Beyond that, it requires the act of another to LOOK at what you are wearing in order to trigger a certain reaction, which in turn affects the wearer's behavior and perception of self.


Cutest tired rabbit ever seen, taken from the profile of my friend the illustrator Lizzie Mary Cullen

I have a suspicion that the impact of said phrase was a lot less before mirrors were invented, there wasn't always a river around to drown in narcissism. The historical circumstances may have provided less of an incentive to dress up, but I believe the argument stands. One wears to be seen. If one wears to not be seen, not even by the self, the image and visualization becomes obsolete, fashion becomes merely functional.

This argument supports chiefly two situations I find myself confronted with. Firstly, as it is closest at hand today, it's an elegant way of saying "F - off, no one sees what I'm wearing, so it doesn't matter". It also is an argument to point out why it is perfectly legitimate, no, indeed necessary for the image of a blogger who has made an effort to wear a certain image, to be seen and captured in said gear - it is the seeing, which manifests the creation and the self within that creation.

With that, I'll cuddle back into my Valentino and bid you farewell, until next time, and be seen. Enjoy being looked at. Looking Is Good.