Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Happy birthday UK Elle, love from... um, Kate Hudson?


Is it just me or is Kate Hudson an odd choice for UK Elle's 25th Anniversary issue cover? Is Kate Hudson someone you think about a lot? In the context of clothes? Has she ever worn anything particularly nice? Or particularly anything? I've been racking my brains for any memory of a Kate Hudson fashion moment and the best I can come up with is when she played a model agent in Raising Helen (very underrated - she has to adopt Hayden Panettiere, Abigail Breslin and their chubby brother after their parents die and then pretend to be a Lutheran to get it on with Aidan from SATC who plays a sexy priest).

Surely the painfully obvious choice would have been, um, I dunno... Yasmin Le Bon? Using their original 1985 cover girl would surely have been a little more poetic, plus it would have tied in nicely with the current trend for bringing back all the old Supers.

I realise Elle has never been the edgiest of fashion magazines, but I'm pretty devoted to it. I started reading it when I was eleven, and used to rip out pages on things like 'How to dress like a fashion assistant' (in short, you needed a black nylon Prada backpack and a silver Elsa Peretti for Tiffany's pen, both of which I did subsequently own. Snaps to me.) So frankly, while I wasn't expecting them to give Love a run for their money, someone with even a passing acquaintance with the fashion industry, besides not being a nudist, might have been nice.

And if they wanted to go down the inclusive-mainstream-we're-so-not-intimidating-why-not-put-that-Cosmo-down-because-even-a-simpleton-who-wants-to-read-about-blowjob-techniques-like-you-might-like-us vibe, which they clearly did, they couldn't have got Lady Gaga?

The fact that they asked readers to vote for their favourite ever Elle cover and the winner was Stephanie Seymour shot in a compromising pose by Richard Avedon back in 1993, suggests that most readers feel the way I do, and long for the time before Elle started putting Lily Allen on the cover every couple of months.

I'm just amazed they didn't sling old crackface on the cover.