Saturday, December 19, 2009

Etsy much?

Well, I started listing items yesterday in my Etsy shop and was generally pleased by how easy it turned out to be. The Etsy set-up is very user friendly and there was never a point at which I was lost or confused, although that could also be attributed to the fact that I'm only 17 and therefore know everything about technology and computers there is to know.
(Yes, I'm kidding. Give me a Mac and I'll give you a blank stare.)

But anyways,
I was surprised at how many views I was getting. After posting a pair of turquoise earrings I got over 20 views the first minute. "Wow", I thought to myself, "People must love my stuff! This Etsy things is a piece of cake."

If you are laughing at me through your screen right now, I forgive you.

Hours went by, and although I was getting several views, nothing particularly interesting was happening. No orders, no one offering me a job designing jewelry (ok, I WASN'T expecting anyone to do that. Don't think I'm all vain or anything!), so I turned my attention over to perfecting my facebook page and twitter account.

By the way, getting a Twitter is something that I swore that I would never ever do. But after reading a few articles about it on Etsy, I finally caved and accepted the fact that Twitter can actually be a really useful advertising tool. So if you're sitting there thinking bad things about me because I got a Twitter, stop it!

When I woke up this morning, I turned on my laptop right away (I have my computer conveniently located on the floor right next to my bed because my desk is so overrun with beading supplies and junk like that) to see if anything cool had happened in my Etsy shop.

Well, it had. I had a sale! Much joy and celebration. Happy dancing! Text my sister in Alaska! More happy dancing!

Between listing more items on Etsy and running out to the store for padded envelopes, I managed to navigate the PayPal label printing system. Once again, I was very please how easy it was. I was expecting to have to answer all kinds of hard questions, but it was really straightforward. Yay Paypal!

After all that excitement, I found out that the post office closed at 2 (it was past 3 at that point), so I can't even send it until Monday. Shoot!
Oh well.

I also signed up for Google Analytics today, which seems pretty crazy and confusing, but once I get used to it I think it will be a great tool.

Well, none of that was probably to least bit interesting, but I thought it would be handy to write about the stuff that happens and the things I do for when I have to do the final project of the Senior Project... the dreaded essay! Part of the essay is to describe what you did, so I was worried I would forget by the time April rolls around. I'll try not to post boring things all the time. :)