Friday, June 17, 2011

TIME OUT


A guy walked into the liquor store...

Sounds like the beginning of an awesomely bad joke, but instead it's the beginning of the story that hopefully will not set the precedent for my night.

-----------------

A guy walks into the liquor store. My liquor store. The place that I have worked off and mostly on for 4 years. The second job I work, the one that I work over 45+ hours a week at. IN ADDITION to the 30 to 35+ hours that I work in the daytime at the courthouse--a job that for the next 4 weeks I will get paid for, but for the last 6 months I have worked for free. Let's not forget I work at the liquor store and the courthouse and balance grad school... Have I told you how fucking crazy my schedule is? I squeeze life in when I can, and usually it is between the hours of 12:30AM and 6:00AM. Can you say #FML? I can. Sometimes I say it a lot.

So back to the shitshow of a story.

This guy walks into my liquor store, shortly after my arrival and start of my 5PM-12AM shift. If I remember correctly he buys a Powerball and a MegaMillions (of which HEISNEVERGOINGTOFUCKINGWIN)... if that wasn't his purchase, then it was a pack of cigs, but I'm pretty positive it was the lottery tickets.

He buys them, I sell them. He is on his way.

I go get food about 20 mins ago (around 6:30ish) and while I'm socializing with the guys at the sushi place next door, I go to the bar to make myself a cup of crack (aka unsweetened iced tea--for real, this shit saves my life) and I see the guy sitting across the bar from me next to another customer (who is a regular lottery buyer at my liquor store). As I walk down to get a cup for my crack I hear the guy talking... I tune in and realize that the MotherFucker is talking about ME! Saying how I act like my job is so hard, when I just have to sit behind the counter at my computer and bla bla bla. He literally just kept going on and on about it--about ME! I walked by him twice and he just kept on talking.


As I fill my cup of sustenance up to the brim, I say loudly: "Hello, I'm right here, but sure, just keep talking about me." He doesn't even look up from him CrackBerry, he just keeps on talking shit. And I, I walk away.

Now I don't know if he heard me or not, and usually I'm pretty good about dealing with people who are assholes to me while I'm working. But I was in someone elses place of business, I was a customer--who often gets discounts because of knowing the owner and because of where I work--I wasn't going to make a bigger scene.

But WHOTHEFUCK does this guy think he is?! I don't know him. His comments were just RUDE.

ruderuderude
RUDE
rude

I didn't realize how much his words hurt me until I got back to the store, grabbed my cash, and went to pay for and collect my food.

He really hurt my feelings.

-----------------

Fast forward/rewind to five minutes ago: 

The regular customer (the one that the ShitTalker guy was sitting next to), who I now know as Tony, walked by the store.
I was going to let him walk by, but as soon as he passed I changed my mind and called him back over to the store.

I proceeded to tell him, pretty calmly (I'm really proud of myself for my calm demeanor) that the comments that his friend made were RUDE and completely inappropriate. It was at this point where we formally introduced ourselves to one another, and then took the conversation back inside the store and finished it. 

I told him that normally I can shake comments off, but the fact that his friend heard me (Tony confirmed this, because HE heard me say something to to guy), and just kept on going, and then the location in which his friend felt it necessary to shit talk me were wrong.

Tony said "Yeah, I had a feeling I wasn't going to get by here without you saying something..." and "I'll say something to him."

I closed with saying it wasn't his place to say anything to his friend, but his friend needs to know that talking crap about someone in front of the person, and in a place where that person always goes, and making off based judgements about a person is WRONG. StraightupNOTfuckingCool.

-----------------

Now I'm closing this post with some much needed laughter from one of my favorite movies: The Jerk starring Steve Martin.

The Gas Station Scene


"These cans are defective!'


-----------------

oh yeah,
and lastly...
FUCKtheHATERS
DoucheBags.