Tuesday, May 17, 2011

PortmanteauLists - Top five songs I'd sing if I were in Glee



Anyone who has talked to me lately may have noticed I have taken to swallow a few select TV shows whole in the matter of a weekend for each show, including "The Thick of It", "Community", ""24", "The Office", "House of Cards", "Spaced", "Black Books", "Hellcats", "Greenwing", "Ugly Betty", "Gossip Girl" and the latest one, "Glee". These are just a few, obviously, but my approach is usually to watch the whole thing in one go, which is why I prefer watching series once they've actually been taken off the air and are completed. I'm not very good at the waiting for story lines to unfold thing, I am a greedy reader. And similarly, I am a greedy watcher and need to know a storyline as immediately as possible. The more information, the better. That's why films rarely cut it for me any more.

Either way, I was just bantering with my friend Mariana about which songs she would sing to me as she's part of a club that gets together and sings. I, of course, cannot sing. I'm worse than Mike. In fact, if I was anyone in Glee, I'd probably be Mike because I can shake my booty but I seriously cannot sing. But one can enjoy the hypothetical in blog posts, so that's what I'm going to do, especially because I WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU WOULD CHOSE AS YOUR TOP FIVE. Seriously, you gotta comment, otherwise it's not as fun!

I'm going to implement some rules, though, that are along the lines of how I imagine Glee choses theirs
1. It's not just about a random song you like and can sing
2. The lyrics have to be relevant to the situation YOU are in or something you wish you could say or the way you feel at the moment. That's what singing other people's songs is for, they can express how you really feel without being too personally specific - usually. As if I had to tell anyone, but some people take the easy way out. Let's not.
3. Usually, I'd say you need to be able to sing it (has to be in your key etc) but let's ignore that because it would mean I can chose no songs. Ever, at all. But if you can actually sing, be my guest and include that in your specifications. I will let YouTube do the job for me.
4. Feel free to do mash ups and suggest your version of the lyrics break down!
5. In my case they all happen to be some of my favourite songs as well, but relevance comes first!

So here we go, my top 5 songs I would sing if I were in Glee, that express how I feel about things in general at the moment:

1. The Circle Game by Joni Mitchell
I'm turning 26 in a few months and my sister, whom I always felt more like a twin sister to, turned 29 and that's just infinitely scary. So thoughts of age are crossing my mind a lot lately...



2. Long way to the top by AC/DC
It's a long way to the top, if you wanna Rock 'n Roll - the way I'm doing my fashion line is a long way, paved with situations the song discusses but I'm doing it Rock 'n Roll style.



3. Cherries from my Neighbour's tree by Tok Tok Tok
This is what I would sing to Stu. Let's have the best of times.



4. Born this Way by Lady Gaga acoustic version (ignore the people singing along and shouts)
I'm a lot of things, even the most basic of questions such as "Where are you from?", "What do you do?", "Who di you like?" and similar such everyday requests already demand responses that would fill a page just in listing things without explanation. Therefore good to remember I'm what I am and that's that.



5. Girl from the North Country by Bob Dylan
Pretty much exactly how I feel about two girlfriends who are far, one south one north, but often on my mind.