Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Genderless World

I've come across an article outlining the approach of a Canadian couple to raise their third child genderless. They want the child to decide what gender it is and although I agree that they won't be able to keep it up forever, early experiences are crucial for development and might actually make a difference in the clarity and freedom of the child to develop as it is rather than within self-fulfilling prophecy and societal expectations.

Storm and family

"If sex is what is 'between the legs' and gender is what is 'between the ears', neither is confused for any of our children," said Ms Witterick.

"What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It's obnoxious."

This is awesome.

I don’t like children and I’m not goiong to have any, but I support this wholeheartedly. Except I wonder how far the bias is actually already implemented in those who do know.

Either way, despite the possible psychological repercussions because of the way the world is dualistically still divided, it’s a step in the right direction. It seems to be a very supportive family and I think it’s a great approach to raising a child. Bullying is based on anything different and could be ANYTHING, but if this catches on, the approach to personal choice is definitely enhanced. Hats off.